Curried Okra Recipe
* 4 tablespoons olive oil
* 500 grams or 1 lb fresh okra
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1 teaspoon ginger, grated fresh or from jar
* 1 teaspoon chilli, seeded and chopped fresh or from jar
* 1 teaspoon turmeric
* 1 teaspoon ground coriander
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon garam masala
* 1 250g can chopped tomatoes
* 150 ml water
* 1 vegetable stock cube
* 1 handful fresh coriander, chopped
* Salt and pepper to taste
* Low-fat plain yogurt (optional)
1. Trim the end of each okra, then rinse and pat dry with a paper towel to absorb moisture.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan.
3. Fry the onion, garlic, chilli and ginger until golden.
4. Stir in the turmeric, ground coriander and cumin and stir through for approximately 30 seconds.
5. Add the okra, tomatoes, water, stock cube, salt and pepper and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.
6. Check that the okra is cooked through and still has a crunch – don’t allow the vegetable to get too soggy.
7. Sprinkle with the garam masala and fresh coriander and serve immediately.
8. A spoonful of low-fat yoghurt on the side of the plate is a great balance to the spice.
Find more gold charms and other gold necklaces at Birks.com.