Make Up Basic Tips
Following a few basic tips can help you camouflage certain skin imperfections and enhance your natural beauty.
• If you have large eyes, do not use bright colours that will over-emphasise their fullness.
• If your eyes are deep-set, use shadow colours that are on the light side of the colour spectrum.
• Be careful with shimmery products, especially on your eyes since they tend to collect in creases.
• Always use less mascara on your lower lashes.
• Don’t pump your mascara wand into the mascara container. This pushes air in the container and makes the mascara dry out faster.
• Gently insert the wand, turn two or three times, then remove and apply to lashes.
• If your mascara thickens when it reaches the end of the tube, place the tube in warm water. That will make the mascara thinner.
• If you have dark circles or bags under the eyes, uneven skin tone or wrinkled skin, these problems will become more obvious if you apply mascara to the bottom lashes.
• Concealer does not have to be worn with any makeup or powder. Sometimes all you need is a little concealer and something on your lips.
• Your concealer should be the same shade as your skin and you should apply it as sparingly as possible.
• If you are thinking of lightening your brows, try coloured mascara first to see what they would look like.
• If you want your eyebrows to stay in place, put clear mascara on them or a little hairspray on an eyebrow groomer and brush to desired shape.
• Always shake your foundation before applying.
• For a light or sheer look, dampen sponge before applying foundation.
• If you have sallow skin, pick a foundation that disappears on your face.
• Before applying powder make sure there are no lines or creases on your skin. Once you powder, it will stay put.
• If your face is moist, blot it gently with a tissue first, otherwise the powder will clump.
• Put a light layer of powder under the eyes before applying eye shadow.
• The thinner your lips, the more neutral your lip colour should be.
• Avoid true red shades if your face is blotchy, irritated or ruddy. Your lips will draw attention to your skin.
• Pale shades of lipstick make lips look fuller.
• If lip liner is too dark, tone it down with a small amount of foundation then reapply lip liner.
• Vitamin E oil gives your lips a topcoat plus seals in colour. This also creates instant shine and helps to protect sensitive areas.
Find more gold charms and other gold necklaces at Birks.com.