15 carrots, peel & cut into long pieces
2 onions, chopped into big cubes
1/2 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
2 dry red chilies, broken into pieces
2 tsp. coriander powder
1 tsp. mustard powder
1/2 tsp. cumin (jeera) powder
1/4 tsp. fenugreek (methi) powder
1 1/2 tsp. brown sugar (or powdered jaggery)
3 tsp. lemon juice or vinegar
2 tsp. red chili powder
A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1 tbsp salt (or to taste)
For the seasoning:
1 cup oil
1/4 tsp. mustard seeds
1/4 tsp. cumin seeds (jeera)
1/4 tsp. urad dal (black gram)
1/4 tsp. methi (fenugreek) seeds
1 tbsp curry leaves
1. Make a coarse paste of the onions and keep aside.
2. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and urad dal to it. Once the seeds splutter add asafoetida, broken red chilies and curry leaves too.
3. Then add onion paste, ginger-garlic paste and sauté till golden brown. Turn off the stove and allow it to cool.
4. After the mixture cools, add the carrot pieces, salt, lemon juice and all other ingredients. Mix well and store in an airtight jar. Refrigeration is required.
5. Allow the carrots to marinate in this mixture for 2 days. The pickle is then ready to serve. Serve with steam rice or curd (yogurt) and rice.
Enter your email address and click on subscribe button to get latest updates of our website on your email address.